By Lynsey Eaton | Photography via OuiPlease
Subscription boxes filled with product samples are all the rage. Why? Because with that box comes a promise that some super human, with time to scroll through Pinterest at hyper-speed and test all of-the-moment products, has curated a box full of all things chic and noteworthy to be sent direct to your doorstep each month. No hassle. Just fabulous.
The problem I’ve always had is, how are these arbiters of taste able to pinpoint exactly what I (me, the girl with the thick coarse hair and perpetually dry skin) might need, or want for that matter, on a monthly basis? And presuming they could, how does that jive with other subscribers who, presumably, might not have skin that is flaking off and hair that needs to be ironed? Each time I go to subscribe, I am stopped by visions of a box filled with volumizing shampoo and blotting papers. Both lovely. Both destined to spend eternity buried in the back of my medicine cabinet. To me, it has always seemed impossible to put together a box that is guaranteed to “wow” everyone, every time, and I can’t make a commitment to something so uncertain.
Turns out (as is often the case), I have just been looking at all the wrong boxes. The key? You make it French. There is only one thing that I will always want and that, my friends, is to be French. I spend my days studying Parisian style and shopping habits, my nights reading about French diets while eating olive oil and baguettes, and my weekends in the beauty department testing (and collecting) Diptyque. So when you promise me a lifestyle box six times a year that is focused entirely on making me more French, I’m sold.
That is exactly what OuiPlease (a bi-monthly subscription box priced anywhere from $175 to as low as $109, depending on your plan) has done. Each box is filled with lifestyle products from a different region of France and is valued at around $400. With a variety of luxury products for your closet, kitchen, and beauty cabinet, each box is an introduction to things you never knew you needed. And boy did you need them… (If anyone out there is listening, a year subscription is all I want for Christmas. Seriously. I need to be French. I think this will help. This and Rosetta Stone.)
In case the words “make you French,” weren’t enough to send you scrambling to your email to start blanket requesting a subscription before the first shipment goes out on December 11, here is a detailed listing of what I found in the VOL 1:1 PARIS, I MISS YOU box from OuiPlease. Read on and then tell me you aren’t with me on this one.
This months box includes:
1. A beautifully curated magazine filled with information on the full range of products to be distributed by OuiPlease across America this month (and conveniently available in the OuiBoutique), tidbits on Parisian Style, notes on a French inspired life, an interview with Chef Johann Giraud and a recipe for Mont Blanc Chestnut Meringue that I am dying to try.
2. Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensee (retail price $25). I am a self-admitted French perfume enthusiast, so this was right up my alley. Note: It didn’t disappoint.
3. Sothys Paris Shower Gel (retail price $27) and Soothing Lotion (retail price $30).
4. Myriam K Paris Anti-Frizz Serum (retail price $50).
5. Les Petites… Girls Don’t Cry Sweater (retail price $115). The introduction to this brand was worth the price of the box.
6. Tassia Canellis earrings (retail price $45).
8. Mineroche scented stone (retail price $7). I can hardly believe I am saying this, but I placed this stone next to my bed and I swear I can smell it while I am sleeping. I swear. It’s subtle and lovely.
9. Popup Paris scented candle (retail price $35).
10. Marlette Financiers mix (retail price $10). Baker or not, these promise to only take four minutes. You can do anything for four minutes.
11. Le Benefique tea sprigs (retail price $5). Forget tea bags, sprigs of Lavender are so much more instaworthy. As it turns out, they also make for better tasting tea.
Because with that box comes a promise that some super human, with time to scroll through Pinterest at hyper-speed and test all of-the-moment products, has curated a box full of all things chic and noteworthy to be sent direct to your doorstep each month.