By Lynsey Eaton | Photography by Danielle Sabol
With Fall’s entrance, come summer sales. Of course, all you can think about are leather jackets and chunky sweaters (I mean, who could blame you. This coat is everything.), but right now is actually our favorite time to stock up on summer essentials – i.e., when no one else wants them so e-tailers start marking must-haves down.
The difficult part is figuring out what you’ll still be into next season (although, watch the runways this week at Fashion Week and you might have a clue). But if you can stomach it, when May rolls around the payoff is worth it. For those of you who are a little weary, here are a few categories we consider safe to invest in season after season.
- A Classic One-Piece Swimsuit – It’s not a question of “if” you will want one, but rather “which” should you invest in. Solid colored one-pieces will always be chic, so if you find a good one at a decent price, it’s safe to jump in. This solid-colored one from Eberjey is our current go-to. We’ve got it in black but love the subtle ballerina vibes of this blush version. Looking for something a little more statement-making? Here’s that Marysia Swim scalloped number we’ve all been goo-goo over one sale. Point being, it’s perfect for winter hot-tub dips and will carry you into summer when it finally shows back up again.
- A Convertible Cover-Up – Having something that transitions from the pool to a casual dinner is the holy grail of cover-ups. It takes less space in your carry-on and means only one outfit change a day. Case in point: This lacey mini is perfect to throw over a suit with sandals, but would serve you well with heels and a clutch should the day take a more intimate turn. And at 50% off, grab it now and wear a sweater over it with a pair of sneakers but keep on deck for when it’s pool time all the time again.
- A Fabulous Hat – We love hats. But getting a good one can cost a pretty penny. So stock up now. If you’re so inclined, you can nab trendy Eugenia Kim numbers (which are never on sale) at a fraction of the price – this one is 70% off! Or if you’re less brand conscious and just want something fab to shade your face, there are tons of options under the $50 mark.
- Comfortable Sandals – Sure, next season you might be into platforms or we heard stilletos are on their way back (say it ain’t so…). But flat sandals will always be a necessity once warm weather rolls around. So find a pair in a classic color and shape and add to cart. Or nab a pair of mules (like these) in a neutral color you can wear year round.
- A Great Pair of Sunglasses – The Garret Leight Seville’s are the perfect mix of chic and practical. They are lightweight and easy to wear no matter where you are or what you are wearing, making them our go-to of the moment. Obsessed. We also found a similar pair of silver frames marked down that we think could be a pretty great Fall transition piece.
- A Summer “It” Bag – We’ve spent the summer carrying everything around in our Poolside Bags large tote and can’t recommend nabbing one more highly. Chic, witty, reasonably priced… What more is there? Because they are so popular we’ve yet to find one on sale, but did find this guy marked at 50% off and can’t help but contemplate adding to our collection for next summer.