By Lynsey Eaton | Photography by Danielle Sabol
We closed on our house yesterday.
No, not the one we are building, the one we sold. The first place we ever lived in Dallas and the home we brought our little girl home to. It’s someone else’s now.
And while I have a tendency to become over dramatic and am nostalgic already for a place we have yet to leave (we have leased it back for two more months), I am trying to get excited about the new house. The home our daughter will grow up in and, with any luck, the home we will bring another baby home to. The home we will have Christmases in and so many birthday parties.
They are building it right now.
I feel like I have been talking about the building of this house FOREVER. Well, if you consider our first post on the topic was in January, perhaps I have. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned through this whole process it’s that things may start slow, but once they’ve started they move fast.
Now, two and a half months out, it feels like everything is happening at once.
Cabinets are being built, floors are being installed, countertops have been selected and the exterior brick is about to be painted. This is where all the fun starts. Where we have 1,000 decisions to make in not so many seconds.
I’d like to think that thanks to all of our planning here at TKC I am going to be somewhat prepared, but I am still terrified to see all of the planning come together. I am still laboring endlessly over which color white to choose (because I thought white was the color, didn’t consider narrowing it down further…) and whether the game room should have a fan or a light fixture. So many decisions that feel so endlessly important that will inevitably fade away into nothing once we actually move in and start making those aforementioned memories.
But until then, we are here.
Over the course of the next three months we will be sharing updates, progress shots, insta-stories galore and tons of requests for help as we round the corner and head toward the finish line.
Here’s what we’ve got going on in the next few weeks:
- All of the flooring is going in, including that fabulous tile we picked from Cement Tile Shop. I’m dying to see it all installed.
- We are picking a paint color for the exterior of the house. I wish the above was a joke about which white to pick, but it’s not. Head to insta-stories for the options and to cast your vote. We are thinking navy shutters and a wood stained door, so keep that in mind if you’re so inclined.
- We are finalizing the selections of our countertops. I’ve already opted for a fairly white countertop for the kitchen because we want to paint the cabinets black, so we think this will look best. Trying to track down something as inexpensive as Carrera Marble but more on the white side for the bathrooms. As soon as I have the product details finalized we will be sure and share.
- I have been searching high and low for light fixtures. I managed to find all of the ceiling fans I want to use from Lamps Plus (more on that coming soon), but am still searching for some of the larger statement making fixtures.
- And last but not least, we are working on bathroom fixtures. Once the tiles are installed it’s on to actual decisions about fixtures and cabinet pulls. Which means all of that flip-flopping between bronze and chrome is about to come to a full-fledged head.
Needless to say, stay tuned. We finally made it to the fun part.